The "Campus Am Rupenhorn"
The "Campus Am Rupenhorn", the site of Touro College Berlin, is a historical mansion overlooking the Havel river. The remarkable history of the house reflects the fate of Berlin’s Jews under the Nazi regime and of postwar life in the city under the Allied occupation.
The house was designed for the Lindemann family by their friend Bruno Paul, an architect from the Bauhaus group, and was built in 1929/30. In the early years of the Nazi regime in the 1930s, the Lindemanns were compelled to sell the property at a price below its value. They then left Germany. Today the house is listed as a historic building and visited by architectural students from all over the world.
From 1935 the estate was the official residence of a Nazi government minister, Hanns Kerrl. After the Second World War, the Berlin district of Charlottenburg, where "Haus am Rupenhorn" is located, became part of the British sector. In 1948 the British Military Government founded and financed a youth leadership school in "Haus am Rupenhorn". In 1953 Berlin's Youth Administrative Office took over the house. For half a century it remained a center for developing new methods of education and promoting international exchange, with an emphasis on democracy and an intercultural approach. In 2003 the Youth Office moved out and the search began for a new function for "Haus am Rupenhorn" that would aptly reflect its past. Touro College Berlin fits the bill perfectly, both in terms of its historical connections to Berlin Jewry and the Anglo-American educational tradition.
With the opening of Touro College Berlin in October 2003, "Campus Am Rupenhorn" linked up again with its origins to become part of a new story: the story of Jewish life and culture reviving in Berlin - combined, in 21st-century style, with the benefits of the American educational tradition and international contacts. Touro College Berlin stands for overcoming the past and nurturing the future.